California is a major transportation hub, and trucks are vital to the state’s economy. However, truck accidents can be devastating, often resulting in serious injuries or death.
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, this kind of accident increased from 3.4% in 2019 to 3.7 % in 2020, with alcohol-impaired driving one of the leading causes of this kind of event.
Frequent causes of truck injuries or accidents
There are many different causes of truck accidents, but some of the most common include (in addition to DUI):
- Distracted driving: A leading cause of all motor vehicle accidents, including truck accidents. Truck drivers can be distracted by various things, such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, or drinking.
- Driver fatigue: Truck drivers usually work long hours, which can lead to fatigue. When this happens, they may have difficulty paying attention to the road and reacting to hazards.
- Impaired driving: Truck drivers are just as susceptible to impaired driving as other motorists. Impaired driving can be caused by alcohol, drugs, or even prescription medications.
- Speeding: There is often pressure on truck drivers to meet deadlines, which can lead to speeding. However, this is dangerous and can increase the risk of accidents.
- Poor weather conditions: Rain, snow, and fog, can reduce visibility and make it difficult for truck drivers to control their vehicles.
- Inadequate vehicle maintenance: Truck companies are responsible for keeping their vehicles safe. However, some companies neglect maintenance, leading to mechanical failures and accidents.
- Improper loading and cargo securement: If a truck is not loaded properly, the cargo can shift during transit, and cause the truck to roll over or jackknife.
If you are injured in a truck accident, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and contact a lawyer to discuss the available legal options.
A personal injury attorney can help investigate the accident, determine fault, and file a compensation claim. You may be entitled to compensation to cover medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages.
Then, if you, one of your family members, or friends seeks legal representation for an accident like this, contact us at 8778341311 or write us a message on our social media accounts!